Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Count your Blessings...







It was a quiet Thanksgiving.  We participated in our town Turkey Trot in the morning (and turned in some nice performances I might add.  My 10 year old is crazy speedy at this 5K business - he PR'd with a time of 21:54).  Then we cleaned up and COOKED.  It was just the 6 of us.  So the house was filled with the sound of the Macy's Day Parade on TV, smells of pies and stuffing cooking, sights of our twinkling Christmas tree.  Add some luxurious naps, dinner around 5 and a family viewing of my new favorite Christmas movie "Elf" and that was Thanksgiving 2013.

We don't live near family; in our nearly 16 years of marriage we never have.  Most of the year I don't mind the distance but at Thanksgiving I do.  I feel like Thanksgiving is the ONE holiday when most extended families come together.  Although our family of 6 normally feels really boisterous and busy...on Thanksgiving it feels a little small.  I found that I was feeling a bit blue most of Thursday and decided to take stock of my feelings towards the end of the day.  My husbands family is mostly in Utah; mine is in Virginia.  Some of my best friends still live in NYC or the East Coast.  And the friends that we have here in California cling to their extended families during the holidays.  So I was feeling alone.

Which was when I decided to "count your many blessings, name them one by one".  I have so much to be grateful for.  I decided not to let one day influence my feelings about Thanksgiving and the blessings that have been bestowed on me and my family.

When in doubt, just count your many many blessings.  "And it will surprise you what the Lord has done".


No comments:

Post a Comment